The naming of the Ford Thunderbird was a difficult process, since over 5000 entries were entertained. A $250.00 prize was offered to anyone who could come up with a name. The name 'Thunderbird' was submitted by Alden Gibberson, the stylist. The name became official on February 15, 1954. Gibberson never claimed his prize, though he did settle for a new suit and an extra pair of trousers from Saks Fifth Avenue.
At the Detroit auto show held on February 20th of 1954, the Thunderbird was shown to the public. The first production vehicle came off the line on September 9th of that year. Delivery of the vehicles began on the 22nd of October with over 4000 orders taken on the first day of sale. The fibreglass removable top was standard. Offered as optional equipment was the fabric convertible top. Under the hood was a 292 cubic inch Y-Block V8 that produced just under 200 horsepower. This was the only engine available when the Thunderbird was first introduced. Read More
By the end of the 1950's, the MGA was starting to feel its age and a replacement car was needed. The replacement was expected to focus on performance and comfort. The MGB introduced improvements over the prior MG model that included roll-up windows and glove compartments to name a few. The MGB was one of the first cars to feature controlled crumple zones designed to protect the driver and passenger in a 30 mph (48 km/h) impact
In 1957, Frua, an Italian stylist, was commissioned to style a new car. What orginally was conceived as a closed car, evolved into a roadster. The MGB was in production from 1962 through 1980. Originally thought to be in production only five years, turned into eighteen years. During that time nearly 389,000 roadsters and more than 125,250 GT's were produced. Read More
Predecessor of the Nazi War Wagon, this particular model spent much of World War II hidden in a barn in the Czech Republic. The type served a military role for the duration of the war. In time, found and recognized, the vehicle underwent a meticulous restoration.
W153's were built until 1943, but only 87 of these emerged from the plant in 1942 and 1943, due to the changed government priorities accompanying the wartime economy. More than half of the 4,264 cars produced dated from 1939.The W153 body shell returned in 1949, however, little changed but fitted with a smaller engine, as the Mercedes-Benz 170S.
There is probably not an automobile at Mercedes Benz that is less known that the Type 230/W153. The superior standard of workmanship, reliability and handling define the designers' interests in technical refinement and artistic quality